Sunday, December 16, 2012

New Project: Part One, Chemise

The evening of the last post, I did manage to locate my white linen, cut the yardage desired, and launder it.  The next day, I pressed it.

And then the fabric just languished while life--and a few holiday parties--happened.


With some happiness, I can report that the fabric is no longer languishing, and has--in fact--been cut!  The edges of the pieces have all been zig-zagged.  And a few pieces have even be sewn together!

While numerous of my friends would chortle and deride such lack of progress, at least one that I know would/will/and does COMPLETELY understand what an ordeal it can be attempting to sew with a toddler in residence.

Declan fell asleep on our way home from this morning's archery practice.  As my spouse wanted to work on straightening up the garage, we simply let the boy nap while Daddy worked within a few feet of the car.  I took the opportunity to get the dining room transformed into my sewing studio.  I was also able to measure and cut out all the pieces of the chemise before Declan rose.

Once awake, the baby played with Daddy in the garage for a time.  I used the chance to stay-stitch and edge stitch all of the linen pieces.  But soon it was my turn to play parent.

Husband and I traded off similarly for most of the evening, and as of now--I can say that progress has been made!


A few notes about the chemise thus far.  I debated whether to use french seams or flat-felled seams.  I ultimately chose french seams, mainly as I was running dangerously low on white thread.  However, I didn't get too far, so could switch over after a trip to Jo-Ann tomorrow for thread.

Typically, I do neither, instead simply serging or zig-zagging the edges to prevent fraying and pressing the seam open. However, I do want to get back into the habit of creating clothing--not just "garb" or "costumes," and nicely finished seams, particular on items worn close to the skin, feel much nicer.

How to you finish your chemises/underclothes?  Do you have a preference?

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the progress, especially with a toddler in the house! I have some underclothes with french and some with flat-felled seams. If I am asking the garment to provide shaping I definitely prefer flat-felled. If I am doing french seams then I generally don't zig-zag my edges, unless the fabric frays a lot or is going to sit around a while before being sewn together. The zig-zag stitch adds a bit of extra bulk in the seam. Can't wait to see it, I have only created male clothes from my Tudor Tailor patterns. Cheers!

    -Ceridwen/Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, excellent point! I should've mentioned that with either seam zig-zagging isn't necessary, but as I am never sure how long the project is going to linger, I figured I might as well. When I trim the seam, I'll be cutting off most, if not all, of the zagged edge.

      Wow, I would not have considered the bit of support that a flat-felled can provide.

      Delete
  2. I've never used flat-felled seams, but now I'm considering them as a possibility. I've always zig-zagged my edges, mostly because I hate sergers and because I didn't used to even do French seams. But now I might consider flat-felling. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you regarding sergers. Granted, I don't *hate* them per se, but I cannot afford one in either money or space to store one. Pinking or zig-zagging has worked fairly well for me, so I don't feel too bad about my lack of serging.

      I confess, french seams do take my addled brain a bit to work around at times (particularly when adding a gusset to a sleeve). But they do leave a nice finish!

      Delete